Monday, November 27, 2006

I want this damn degree!

So, I'm basically done with my BFA in Comm Design in about 3 weeks. I'll be happy to have it and walk (assuming I can somehow pay for a cap/gown) across that stage for my folks. Unfortunately, I've got about 30 hours of Comm Studies (an entirely different degree) hovering over my head saying, "turn me into a BA!".

But I don't have the money for it, and since I'll doubtlessly be counted as a dependent by my parents, I can't go solo and get financial aid on my own. Unfortunately, I can't really run the solo-loan thing either as I just barely started working for the university and I've moved in the last 12 months. So, it's off to ask my parents to co-sign for me. I want to go to bloody grad school.

If I can convince them that I really need another degree. And though I don't need another bachelor's, I've been told it'll help me get paid more once I get hired. The extra income will help me knock out student debt faster in the long run as it should help move me up the ladder faster.

I hate asking for help, I can't stand doing it, but I know for sure that I won't have the money for this. Heck, I'm gonna have to ask for help again this month since the university has a 2-week payroll delay for new employees.

And finally, why is it that every creative I know absolutely sucks with money? I mean, I don't know a single person from my program that's got a complete handle on their finances. Are we, as creatives, genetically pre-disposed to suck with money? Do we sacrifice practical money sense for an ability to think in color?

Damnit.